Friday, January 11, 2008

Book Review: Strengths Finder 2.0


I recently read StrengthsFinder 2.0, by Tom Wrath, and completed the online assessment. While the specifics of my top themes (Adaptability, Futuristic, Activator, Relator and Self-Assurance) were insightful, I did not find the book to be particularly enlightening. However, there is value in this book if you study it.

This is not a book that you read in the traditional sense, rather one that you review periodically to refocus yourself and devise plans for personal growth.

When I first revised my personal Strengths Discovery, I thought “that’s not me”. However the after several weeks, things started to hit home.

  • Adaptability – “Now” people that discover the future one day at a time.
  • Futuristic – People inspired by the future and what could be.
  • Activator – People talented at turning thought into action.
  • Relator – People that enjoy close relationships with others.
  • Self-Assurance – People that feel comfort in managing their own lives.

From this top 5 list, Futuristic, Activator and Self-Assurance were dead-on depictions of my persona. However Adaptability and Relator stuck out as somewhat incorrect for me.

Reading further, the Relator theme does indeed describes me, while I don’t have a large group of friends, the ones that I have are very close to me. Similarly, Adaptability – Flexibility, dealing with the day’s challenges as they unfold, making decisions without being required to seek approval from others.

So it seems that my profile is indeed accurate.

Now what to do with this knowledge? In a future post, I will review “First Break All the Rules”, in my case I happened to read this book first and the planets are starting to align. This particular book is based on the same Gallop research as StrengthFinder, for me the order of reading with great First Break All the Rules set up numerous examples of how great leaders focus on their strengths to success in their profession, now that StrengthFinder help me identify mind I can start taking action.

Over the coming weeks and months, I will strive to refine these talents and see where things take me…