Thursday, January 10, 2008

New Year and a New Goal



January is always a good time to look back at the previous year and ponder self-improvement. The trouble is that by the end of January, all those resolutions have gone out the window.

This year I want to make a change that sticks!

I have been pondering an MBA for many years and I came to the conclusion that a traditional MBA program was probably not in the cards for me. So in December I started researching a number of Executive MBA programs (nights and weekends) as well as some of the online.

Perhaps one of these options might accommodate my educational desires and help keep balanced at home.

Unfortunately, the commitment to an eMBA or an online MBA still seemed too restrictive. Managing my career, maintaining a healthy marriage and helping raise twin coupled with a a 1-2 year MBA program seemed impossible. In all cases I really just could not justify putting my consulting career "on hold" while pursuing academics.

Still, my chosen profession and current career level often expose some of my educational weaknesses.

My story might ring true with you as well. I have been in the software consulting business for 15 years and managed to "climb the ladders" without any formal post graduate study. I am currently a Services VP, managing a team 100 spread across the globe. I love my job, but find it difficult to perform some of the basics, like deciphering financial reports and writing contracts, without a lot of research and Googleing.

Then, in early January, I stumbled across Josh Kaufman' s Personal MBA and timeliness was downright uncanny. I am optimistic that the Personal MBA will help me guide my career and help me to the next level.

After reviewing the Personal MBA Manifesto, I took the bull by the horns and have already plowed through 3 of the recommended readings in no particular order (First, Break All the Rules, Strengths Finder 2.0 and The Little Green Book of Getting Your Way). I have since order the remaining titles in the "quick start section" and everything in the management section.


To help keep myself on track, I resolve to stay on the program and blog my progress.

Wish me luck!