I am in the professional services business, so while it is not my official role to build products; this book has shown me the light … everyone within an organization is responsible for that organizations “product”. Weather that “product” is a physical good, a service sold to customers, or even an administrative “service” that is “sold” internally.
If you an individual contributor stuck in a job, a manager stuck in the day-to-day or an entrepreneur looking to build the next iPod, this book is for you.
Some key points from the book:
- Discipline and Creativity are not mutually exclusive, the creative process can be enhanced through control
- Leverage conflicting goals to invent superior products and services (Do more with less)
- Baby steps are generally more effective then radical change
- Build solutions that will solve today’s problems
- Innovation requires all people in an organization, not just the folks in R&D
- Reflection is critical for growth