iTunes U Course: TED Talks Leading Wisely
Lecture (iTunes): Simon Sinek: How great leaders inspire action
How do you explain the success of some people and the nonperformance of others?
- Why is Apple so innovative? Year after year they are more innovative then their competitors, yet they have the same access to technology and human talent.
- Why is it that Martin Luther King led the civil right movement? He was not the only person who suffered in a pre-civil rights America and was not the only eloquent and public speaker of the day.
- Why were the Wright Brother able to achieve flight when others were better funded and better qualified.
There is something else at play. There is a pattern followed by those that are successful. Simon Sinek calls this "The Golden Circle".
- Everyone knows what they do.
- Some know how they do it. Differentiating value proposition, Propitiatory process, etc.
- Very few know why they do it. (To make a profit is not "why", rather this is a result) What is your cause, purpose or belief? Why should anyone care.
Most think from the outside in, however inspired leaders and organizations think from the outside in.
- Most manufactures in the PC business: We make great computers (what?), they are beautifully designed, simple to use, and user friendly (how?). Want to buy one?
- Apple: Everything we do, we believe in challenging the status quo and thinking differently (why?), we do this by focusing on beautiful design, ease of use, and user friendliness (how?), we just happen to make computers (what?), want to buy one?
People don't buy what you do, they buy why you do it.
This is why people are more than willing to buy a computer, MP3 player, phone or tablet from Apple. It also explains why Gateway failed at making flat-screen TVs and why Dell failed at making MP3 players (2006-2008) and phones (2010-2011). While both were qualified to make these products, yet both failed.
The goal is not to do business with anyone needs what you have, the goal is to do business who believe what you believe.
There are leaders and there are those who lead. Leaders hold a position of power or authority. Those who lead, inspire us. We follow those who lead, because we want to...