Monday, April 23, 2012

TED Leading Wisely: Why we have too few women leaders


DisciplineLeadership
iTunes U CourseTED Talks Leading Wisely
Lecture (iTunes)Sheryl Sandberg: Why we have too few women leaders
My Notes:
I am almost all caught up on recording my notes from the TED Talks Leading Wisely series. I have been listening to the series while walking my dog each night and have fallen in the habit of not posting until a few days later. Now that I am all caught up hopefully I can be a bit more diligent about recording my thoughts immediately after  listening.

Sheryl Sandberg is the COO of Facebook and studied at Harvard business school. Mrs. Sandberg gives a great presentation and her passion for encouraging more women to enter into, and remain in, the business world is obvious.

Mrs Sandberg notes that while women have made great strides over the years, things seem to have flat lined since 2002. Of 190 heads of state, only 13% are women and in the corporate world only 15% of the C-level positions are held by women.

She maintains 3 points to correct this:

  1. Sit at the table: Women statistically underestimate themselves when compared with men. "Believe in yourself and negotiate for yourself. Own your own success."
  2. Make your partner a real partner:  Society puts more pressure on boys to succeed than girls. We need more balance.
  3. Don't leave before you leave: Don't enter the workforce and be pondering your exit for marriage and kids, until it is time to make that change
Mrs Sandberg makes some great points and I am thinking about this as it relates to raising my 2 daughters. What can I do to help them succeed?